Six Weeks Before Moving
Make an inventory of everything to be moved.
- Collect everything not to be moved for a garage sale or charitable donation.
- Contact the charity for date/time of pickup. Save receipts for tax records.
- Contact RELO Direct for estimates.
- Select mover, arrange for exact form of payment at destination (cash, check). Get cartons and packing materials to start packing NOW, unless you have packing services.
- Contact insurance agent to transfer/cancel insurance coverage.
- Check with employer to find out what moving expenses they will pay.
Four Weeks Before Moving
- Notify all magazines of change of address.
- Check with veterinarian for pet records and immunizations.
- Contact utility companies for refunds of deposit, set turn-off date.
- Contact broker in new community to set up utility turn-on date.
- Dry clean clothes to be moved, pack in protective wrappers.
- Collect everything you have loaned out and return everything you have borrowed.
- Service power mowers, boats, snowmobiles, etc. that are to be moved, drain all gas/oil to prevent fire in moving van.
- Check with doctors and dentist for all family records and prescriptions.
- Get children’s school records.
- Check freezer and plan to use of food over next 2-3 weeks.
- Remove all jewelry and other valuables to a safe deposit box or other safe place to prevent loss during move.
- Give away or arrange for transportation of house plants (most moving companies will not move plants, especially in winter). Plants also can be sold at a garage sale or given as thank you gifts.
One Week Before
- Transfer or close checking and savings accounts. Arrange for cashier’s check or money order to pay moving company on arrival to new community.
- Have automobile serviced for trip.
- Fill out Post Office change of address forms, give to postmaster.
- Check and make inventory of all furniture for dents and scratches, notify moving company of your inventory and compare on final day.
- Dispose of all combustibles and spray cans (spray cans can explode or burn).
- Pack a separate carton for cleaning materials and tools.
- Separate cartons and luggage you need for personal travel.
- Organize at least one room in the house for packers and movers to work freely.
- Cancel all newspapers, garden service, snow removal, etc.
- Review the entire list to make certain that you haven’t overlooked anything. Check and double-check everything you have done before it’s too late.
- Plan to spend the entire day at the house. Last minute decisions must be made by you. Don’t leave until after the movers have gone.
- Hire a sitter or send the kids to a friend’s house for the day.
- Stay with the moving van driver to oversee inventory.
- Tell packers and/or driver about fragile or precious items.
- Make a final check of the entire house- basement, closets, shelves, attic, garage, every room.
- Approve and sign Bill of Lading; if possible accompany driver to the weigh station.
- Double check with driver to make certain moving company records show the proper delivery address for your new house. Verify the scheduled delivery date, too.
- Give driver phone numbers both here and in new community to contact you in case of a problem.
- Get complete routing information form the driver and phone numbers so you can call the driver or company while en route.
- Disconnect all utilities and advise the Realtor who sold or is selling your house.
- Lock all doors and windows. Advise your Realtor and neighbors that the house is empty.